Samsung SUR40 is a cool new piece of hardware


I has Microsoft’s PixelSense technology, and it can sense up to 50 simultaneous touches on its screen and can also detect other object aside from human touch.


As a table top gaming platform, it would be a really great device, and I would like to play Sid Meier’s Civilization on it with real pieces to move around with. How would I get the pieces to work with the game is beyond me.

On a software development point of view, it would be wasteful to put many hours developing a game for this technology when not everybody can afford to get one. Would the Civilization team create a Surface version of their game? Only time will tell.

What about classic RPG Table top games? Do you think it would be a great platform to play it on? The initial reaction of people using it might be. ‘be careful not to put too much weight on it, you might break the surface’. Or scratch it, or spill your drink on it, it would be a very expensive toy if it would start at 7,000 dollars.

When I first heard about Microsoft Surface, I thought it would be a great thing playing games on it like chess with real chess pieces or war games with miniatures, but the more I thought about it the more I did not want to be playing on it. With the 50 touch limit, it would be difficult to play a deep strategy war game on it with many pieces like Risk.

On the brighter side, from the 50 touch limit, it can only go up as the technology gets better.

I still want the 3d hologram table top game they played in the movie Star Wars: A New Hope.

Comments